Skip to Questions

LFCC Online Help - Ask a Question, Search for Information, Connect Online at LFCC!

Useful Tip: Ask questions or search by keyword, e.g., Blackboard; Grades

Why do I have to claim my parents income on FAFSA when I live on my own?

Last Updated: Aug 29, 2014  |  20 Views

Was this helpful? 0   0


Federal Guidelines state that as long as a student is under 24, unmarried, and no dependents then they are required to include parental information in FAFSA regardless of whether they live with them or not.

If a student has extenuating circumstances that prevent him/her from providing parental information, it may be possible for the Financial Aid Office to consider a dependency override that allows the student to apply for financial aid without parental information. Students who feel that their circumstances warrant a dependency override should contact the Financial Aid Office to request an appointment. Each request is reviewed by the Director on a case-by-case basis.

Answered by Kaitlyn LambertBookmark and Share

Other Answers / Comments (0)

    Browse by Popular Topics

    Blackboard  –  Book Store  –  Financial Aid  –  MyLFCC  –  Online Student Help  –  Registration  
    View All Topics


    Welcome to LFCC!  Watch for more chat sessions this semester.

    Live Chat

    Need help now? Ask a Staff member

    • a small icon
      Student Admissions & Records: 540-868-7105 (Middletown), 540-351-1510 (Fauquier)
    • a small icon
      Student Accounts & Financial Aid 24/7 Help 1-855-874-6685
    • a small icon
      Student Accounts & Financial Aid 24/7 on the web:
    • a small icon
      Advising Middletown: 540/868-7110 Fauquier: 540/351-1507 Luray Page: 540/843-0722
    • a small icon
      Email Advising:
    • a small icon
      Blackboard Support: 540-869-0648
    • a small icon
      Blackboard Support:
    • a small icon
      TRIO and Veterans